Los Angeles Herald, Volume XLII, Number 119, 18 March 1916
GISH SISTERS CHRISTEN NEW HUP
Christened with the rich golden Juice of a California orange, the first Victoria Hupmobile in the west appeared In Los Angeles this week. Surrounded by the beautiful flowers and crystal watered swimming pool of their Denishawn home, the distinctive motor car is the property of the Aliases Lillian and Dorothy Gish. Known from coast to coast as the loading- figures in such famous film plays us “The -Clansman,’’ “Old Heidelburg” and the “Lily and the Rose,” these two talented sisters are not only Orange day boosters but enthusiastic lovers of Southern California at all times of the year.
Originally the car was nothing more than a late model standard stock car, but upon selecting a Hupmobile as a result of extensive investigation and the added advice of Mrs. Gish, the young women immediately planned for something characteristically distinct. The details of the luxurious pleasure car, all of which are a result of the decorative genius of Miss Dorothy Gish, include tasteful seat covers, snow white wire wheels, rich maroon finish and a specially designed Victoria top.
Page 89 of the September 1916 issue of “Picture-Play Magazine” a photo of Dorothy Gish driving the Hupmobile with her mother, Mary Gish, and her friend, Constance Talmadge, seated in the back. The man seated next to Dorothy is Harry Sabata who was employed by the Gish family as a man-of-all work and occasional chauffeur although, as this picture indicates, more often either Dorothy or Lillian did the driving. I recall from Lillian’s book, “Dorothy and Lillian Gish,” her mentioning that their mother also drove. From the standpoint of feminine emancipation in the 1910s, the Gishes’ ability to drive a car in those days was yet another indication that they were very much New Women. This page with the photo from “Picture Play” is part of an article by Robert C. Duncan entitled “The Fine Arts Studio.” (William M. Drew)
Upon taking the new car the sisters immediately announced it would be used to combine pleasure with work and its very maiden trip was a whirl to the big Griffith studios, where it made its initial camera bow wth Lillian Gish at the wheel. In order to boost California Orange day they withheld their street appearance until today. Having spent a portion of yesterday at the Chapman orange ranch in Fullerton the popular screen artists returned home with enough golden fult in thefr Hupmobile to present « souvenir to each of the army of co-workers at the Hollywood studio today. “We have always wanted a distinctive motor car.” said Miss Lillian Gish, bright star of the “Clansman.” “But we wanted one that would harmonize with our work in the films, with the surroundings of Denishawn and with the wishes of mother. (Los Angeles Herald – 18 March, 1916)
The Victoria Hupmobile has measured up to every requirement and everybody is happy. “While we realize that there is nothing startling about a Victoria top in Southern California nor are wire wheels at all uncommon, yet the combination when embodied with the few graceful lines of this Hupmobile: present an artistic motor picture that has no rival. (Los Angeles Herald – 18 March, 1916)
Above are Lillian and Dorothy Gish with their new Victoria top Hupmobile. Lower picture shows Lillian Gish alighting from car, which has top extension in place.
Gish Sisters Christen Newhup – 1916 (L.A. Herald)
Los Angeles Herald – 18 March, 1916
“The lists of registered automobiles in California were regularly published as booklets from 1905 to 1922 by the state’s Motor Vehicle Division. In the March 1916 registered automobiles volume, I found the following listing: registration no., 141747; owner, Gish, Mrs. Mary; address, 6th and St. Paul sts., Los Angeles; make, Hupmobile Tour; engine no. and hp., 64968 22.
The 1916 Los Angeles City Directory lists Lillian, Dorothy and Mrs. Gish as photo players and gives the exact number of their address as 600 St. Paul Avenue. The home where the Gishes lived in 1916 has long since vanished and is today occupied by a large office building built in 1948.”
(William M. Drew)